Probably nothing says love like nutella, strawberries and breakfast. All the most beautiful things marry for one delectable meal, Nutella-stuffed French toast.
Here’s the truth. I made this yesterday, and I’m actually going to make it again tonight. Typically, I follow a confession this embarrassing by playing the pregnancy card. You know it, the old “I’m eating for two” line. But, nay, I’m eating it twice, because, goodness gracious, it’s too delicious to only eat once.
Nutella French Toast with Strawberries
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Juice of half a lemon
- 4 slices of bread (I used Whole Wheat, because it’s the least I could do)
- As much Nutella as you like
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Butter (for the pan)
- Powdered sugar for serving
Now Make It (Twice)
- Combine the strawberries, sugar and lemon juice in a bowl. Toss to coat and set aside to macerate at room temperature.
- Spread desired amount of Nutella over 2 slices of bread. Top each with the remaining bread. Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- In a shallow dish or pie plate, whisk together the egg and milk. If your butter is still hot from melting, pour a little of the milk mixture into the hot to cool it. Whisk in the melted butter, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the heated skillet and swirl to coat.
- Quickly dip each sandwich into the egg mixture. Add the slices to the pan in a single layer, taking care not to crowd the skillet. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until light golden brown. Flip and continue cooking an additional 1-2 minutes. Add more butter as needed.
- Transfer to a plate, dust with powdered sugar, then top with strawberries. Serve immediately.